With the drudgery of winter nearly over, we can look at the pleasantly cool (and sometimes warm) spring mornings that are offered up like so many hors d’oeuvres on a plate. April is a fine month, and those who were born in it are (and were) blessed with a fertile month of burgeoning plants and new life. Gray skies may still be present, but so are the green hues of trees and grass.
In today’s post, I am going to provide a list of authors who were born this fine, and flowery, month of annuals, perennials, and biennials. If you were perhaps looking for something to read, this would be a great month to check out some of the authors on the list!
A list of authors born this month
The following list is definitely not definitive, but it does have quite a few famous names, and quite a few famous works. I did not put all of each author’s works, but wrote down some of the most popular works by each individual. Please let me know if I looked over any major names or titles that need to be added!
· William Shakespeare (1564) – Romeo and Juliet, Macbeth, Hamlet, and the rest.
· William Wordsworth (April 7th, 1770) – “I wandered lonely as a cloud,” “Composed upon Westminster Bridge,” and The Prelude.
· Washington Irving (April 3rd, 1783) – “The Legend of Sleepy Hollow” and “Rip Van Winkle”
· Hans Christian Anderson (April 2nd, 1805) – “The Princess and the Pea,” “The Ugly Duckling,” and “The Little Match Girl.”
· Charlotte Bronte (April 21st, 1816) – Jane Eyre, Shirley, and Villette
· Booker T. Washington (April 5th, 1856) – “Up from Slavery,” “Character Building,” and “My Larger Education.”
· Samuel Beckett (April 13th, 1906) – Waiting for Godot, Endgame,
· Beverly Cleary (April 12th, 1916) – Romona Quimby and Runaway Ralph
· Robert Boch (April 5th, 1917) – Psycho and “Sweets to the Sweet”
· Maya Angelou (April 4th, 1928) – “And Still I Rise,” “I Shall Not Be Moved.”
· Sue Grafton (April 24th, 1940) – Kinsey Millhone books