Each year, I have told myself that I am going to do something particular with writing. Last year seems like a decade ago, but I told myself a few things:
- I was going to look into secondary teaching as an ELA instructor
- I was going to start a blog
- I was going to read more poetry and some more of the classics
- I was going to finish a book
I failed to complete a few of these objectives, but I did achieve a few, too. I mean, I didn’t write that book and I never got around to reading some of the classics (Moby Dick by Herman Melville has been sitting on my bookshelf for years now). But, I did look into secondary teaching and found a job as an instructor, I read more poetry and learned about authors I have often wondered about (Emile Zola was one of those), and I started a blog to help me with some of those concepts. So, overall, I take last year as a win because I marked off a few of those goals.
But it doesn’t end there. It never ends there.
This year, I want to do a few more things:
- I want to write that book that I haven’t gotten around to
- I want to hit a few more achievements for the blog (double the amount of posts and my readers)
- I want to read some more of the classics
It’s a shorter list but it’s achievable (which is something I would like to talk about in a future post about writing and goals and keeping it simple). Anyway, those are my current goals, but I would love to hear from you guys (I definitely might poach ideas for my own goal list if anybody comments!), so feel free to add your 2021 goal list in the comments.
And, if I don’t talk to you before then, Happy New Year!